The Borlaug Dialogue is an international symposium of GMO chemical company CTO's- Dow, Dupont and Monsanto, food companies like Cargill and Land O' Lakes, big Ag farmers, banks like the Bank of Africa, Chelsea Clinton, Tom Vilsack, Warren Buffet's son, USDA officials and African/Asian dignitaries.
They gave awards and accolades to many women African farmers and then wooed them with the claims of the latest "agriculture technology." Apparently GMO is "activist lingo" now so they barely ever mentioned the word for the two days that I attended.
I did ask a question at a smaller panel with African farmers led by Julie Borlaug (the woman who debated Robyn O'Brien) about bringing organic methods into Africa, especially since the UN Report "Wake Up Before It's Too Late" stated that small organic farms are the only way to feed the world. They denied this report created by 60 international experts as and brushed it off as "opinion". Julie Borlaug said "I was there and that is not true." They asked me to leave when I brought up the harm from glyphosate and blocked me from approaching the African farmers. I got to the official from Uganda anyway, as I refused to leave. Later in the big room in front of 1200, I asked almost the same question and people literally hissed at me. It was so amazing how brainwashed they were, how they blatantly ignore harm.
My take away is this:
- They are anxious. The FOIA on Kevin Folta was mentioned. They said "it's dangerous out there" The focus on women and waning of FOIA's shows me we are making headway.
- They will continue to dismiss us as uneducated, fringe, emotional and uncaring about the starving children until we bring SOLUTIONS for feeding the world to the world in a prominent way. The 9 billion by 2050 was the over riding theme.
- They are going after Africa in a massive way. They are convincing them that "they deserve the best technology and no one else should stop them from having a choice. "We should have the freedom to chose," one farmer said. (meaning NO bans of GMOs...stealing our phrase, "Freedom to chose") They are taking advantage of their lack of resources and education and I truly fear the outcome unless we get a presence there.
- They have many new initiatives: free curriculum "Bringing Bio Tech to Life" for middle school, high school and college programs. They are brainwashing our youth. Everything a college student said to me was parroting their talking points.
- They are promoting fisheries in Africa which I am sure will feed the fish GMO feed.
- I learned why the TPP has so much support. It reduces the tariffs on soy and corn buy 80%. They can sell their cheap, toxic food all over the world much more easily. Cargill CEO actually said, "Resist the urge to go after domestic food security." ie: Let the USA feed you! Pass the TPP!
In the meantime, we must help ourselves.
- Growing crops which completely resist pest sand weeds without GMO foreign proteins or toxic chemicals here: http://www.advancingecoag.com/john-kempf/
- More food on less land; 1 million pounds of food on 3 acres:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jV9CCxdkOng
- and Healthy Soil Regeneration which retains more water and resists drought: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yPjoh9YJMk