Six months ago today, June 1, a few days after our meeting with the EPA, I requested per my right as a US citizen, by way of the Freedom of Information Act, to receive copies of all of the documents submitted to the EPA regarding glyphosate. Never in my life did I imagine I would be asking for potentially thousands of pages of scientific studies about a toxic chemical. I loved science when I was in sixth grade, even imagined being one someday. But I did not think I was good at math, all the rote learning without understanding was more condescending than the looks my math teacher gave me, so I dismissed the possibility of being a scientist and headed down a more artistic path as a designer.
I have a creative background, but I could not make up what I am about to share with you.
It is incredible that any scientist or non scientist could look at this information think glyphosate safe.
I received 9 files, ranging from 67-293 pages. Most were the actual studies, two were assessments of other studies. I do not believe I received all of the studies submitted to the EPA, and will be asking for the full set of documents. What I did receive however, in my opinion, is reason enough not to re register glyphosate.
Watch a video version of this blog here and share it with friends.
The first study I open, is a 96 hour study on oysters..and it concludes that although in 4 days there were no oyster deaths, the majority of the oysters were "closed and not feeding". That is equivalent to a human in a coma! Are you kidding me? This is supposed to prove glyphosate is safe for sea life?
And what happened after 4 days? For how long did the oysters stay "closed and not feeding" and what happened to them then?
I am reading this, hollering to my husband about oysters and the dear man is putting up with me. He even admits that he is glad I am the kind of person that cares about this because someone has to.
The next study, a 96 hour study on Mysid shrimp, shows that after 4 days, the "level of no-morbidity was .51 a.e.mg/L ( 1.71 mg/L MON 2139 mg/L". The level of glyphosate in our corn, husk removed is 3.5 ppm. .51 mg/L and 1.71 mg/L is equal to .51 and 1.71 ppm. And it was the level just above this killed the shrimp after 4 days. 100% of the shrimp died at levels of 3.9ppm.
Granted we are not as small as a shrimp, but the amount of glyphosate must be equivalent and significant in comparison. Consider that 80% of GMOs which make up 90% of our food crops and in 85% of our food are sprayed with glyphosate. In addition, many non-organic crops are also sprayed with glyphosate as a drying agent pre-harvest. Furthermore a burn down application of glyphosate is applied before planting, so the amount of glyphosate we potentially consume from the 160 foods withallowable glyphosate levels is from .2 - 400 ppm. This is very significant.
The average life span of a Mysid shrimp is 365 days. 4 days is 1% of it's life. How is this a study which is scientifically sound for weighing the safety of glyphosate? It's not! it's preposperous! This test duration is equivalent to a human who lives to 78 years old being exposed to glyphosate for 284 days...less than a year. The reality is glyphosate has been in our food supply for nearly 20 years....7300 days...already.
White shrimp in comparison to the size of a human fetus (Human fetus is about half the size)
Another 96 hour White shrimp study showed "the no-morbidity after 4 days was 5.2 mg/L ( 17 mg/L of MON 2139)". Higher than that and they died. The levels of glyphosate on dried sugar beet pulp, the main source of sugar in millons of American products, is 25ppm. The average American consumes 156 pounds of sugar per year. How much glyphosate is that? What is it doing to us? A white shrimp is larger than a 6 week old human fetus. What coudl glyphosate be doing to our fetuses? Why has our infertility and miscarriage rate skyrocketed to 30% just like the pigs in Denmark who ate feed sprayed with glyphosate and had their levels of miscarriage jump to 30%?
FISH SHARE 85% of the same DNA as Humans
The 96 hour minnow study showed the level of no-mortality at 2.1 a.e mg to 6.8 mg MON 2139/L. Higher than that and fish died in 4 days.We have 5 ppm allowed on our potatoes and 7 ppm of glyphosate allowed on tea, items that we eat/drink in large quantities.
The 2 month (dosing period) study of canaries showed mortality at 432mg/L and with birds dying within 2 hours of dosing at 3300 ppm. Our animal feed grains are allowed by the EPA to have levels of 400 ppm and are consistently fed this amount, it is not just a one or two time dose during 4 days of their life.
The mouse study was a mere 28 days... not even a month...and although they claimed no changes to them mice...this duration is supposed to be valid as a scientific study for the safety of a toxic chemical sprayed on our food to consume? If there they were longer studies done, they did not send them to me as they are required to by law.
So the next time a GMO scientist tells you they have "hundreds of studies" showing the safety of GMOs and Glyphosate, ask them, how long are those studies for? What were the results? If the animals did not DIE, did they exhibit other symptoms (like not eating) that would lead to their death shortly after the duration of the study?
These studies, even in their small scope and short duration show that glyphosate should not be re registered. It's not sound science to see these as showing safety by any scope of the imagination and in addition this mother, for one, would prefer to be better safe than sorry than to feed my kid a chemical that has most oysters "closed and not feeding" after 4 days. It's hard enough to feed my kids, Thank you very much. I chose organic.
Please tell the EPA what you think they should decide regarding the review of glyphosate NOW. They are reading and assessing these studies now and will make a decision by Christmas. Contact:
Chief, Risk Management and Implementation Branch I
Pesticide Re-evaluation Division
US EPA (Mail Code 7508P)
1200 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW
Washington, DC 20460
P.S. I have been informed that the studies are confidential and I cannot share the actual documents. You can request any kind of information you want through the Freedom of Information Act.
GMO and Glyphosate Resources
A partial list by Moms Across America to support you in finding out more and staying healthy.
Studies, Papers, Reports and Articles:
- Study Suggests Parkinson’s Could Start in Gut Endocrine Cells
Protective Effects of Lignite Extract Supplement on Intestinal Barrier Function in Glyphosate-Mediated Tight Junction Injury. This paper is a technically challenging read, but it contains several powerful before and after images (Figure 3), which should convince anyone that lignite produces a significant change to cells of the stomach lining after they've been "insulted" by glyphosate.
- Organic versus non-organic. A study of nutritional difference
- BT Toxin GMOs as Human Gut Pathogen
- A long-term toxicology study on pigs fed a combined genetically modified (GM) soy and GM maize diet
- Clear English Summary of the Pig Tox Study (listed above)
- Changes in the Protein Profile of Pigs' Blood During Feeding With GM Soybeans
- Scientists have identified major molecular differences between a GMO corn and its non-GMO parent
- Synthetic biology: GMOs 2.0 - a great explanation of this new and dangerous technology
- Are GMOs 2.0 In Your Food and Cosmetics? - A Shopper's Guide to Synthetic Biology
- Genetically engineered crops, glyphosate and the deterioration of health in the United States
- Pathology reports on the first cows fed with Bt176 maize (1997–2002) - Gottfried Glöckner1 and Gilles-Éric Séralini
- New Study on Goats fed GMO soy: Mothers had less protein in milk and kids were smaller.
- GMO fed Rats 30, 60 and 90 days from Turkish Journal of Biology - "Biological impact of feeding rats with a genetically modified-based diet
- University of Washington-Protein and Gene Double Meaning Study
- Dr.Judy Carman’s and Farmer Howard Vlieger’s Pig Study on GMO Feed
- Scientist Turns Anti GMO
- Compositional Differences of GMO Soybeans and Non GMO Soybeans
- Dr. Huber 50 Year Plant Pathologist on GMOs and Glyphosate
- Schools Go Organic: Science Supports Growing Movement
- COVVHA 100 Scientific Study Links on the Health Risks of GMOs
- Rodale Institute -GMO Myths Busted
Global GMO news sites
- www.sustainablepulse.com The most groundbreaking news
- www.gmofreeusa.com over 1800 studies and papers showing harm from GMOs and related pesticides
- www.earthopensource.org 330 page GMO Myths and Facts resource
- Organic Versus Non Organic 2014 Study
- HIDDEN COSTS OF TOXIC SEED COATINGS - Insecticide Use on the Rise
- Melanoma research gathers momentum
- Detection of Glyphosate Residues in Animals and Humans
- Blood Vessel Inflamation Following Exposure to a Glyphosate-based Herbicide
- Behavioral impairments following repeated intranasal glyphosate-based herbicide administration in mice
- Human exposure to glyphosate has increased 500%
- Glyphosate and Anencephaly: Death by A Thousand Cuts
- Can glyphosate’s disruption of the gut microbiome and induction of sulfate deficiency explain the epidemic in gout and associated diseases in the industrialized world?
- Oral Application of Charcoal and Humic Acids Influence Selected Gastrointestinal Microbiota, Enzymes, Electrolytes, and Substrates in the Blood of Dairy Cows Challenged with Glyphosate in GMO Feeds
- 20 Years of Glyphosate and the impact on soil
- Seneff and Nigh Paper on Death by a Thousand Cuts: Glyphosate and Anencephaly
- Genotoxic effect of a binary mixture of dicamba-and glyphosate-based commercial herbicide formulations on Rhinella arenarum (Hensel, 1867) (Anura, Bufonidae) late-stage larvae
- Roundup Revealed: Glyphosate in our Food System
- Glyphosate-Induced Specific and Widespread Perturbations in the Metabolome of Soil Pseudomonas Species
- Glyphosate-based herbicides are toxic and endocrine disruptors in human cell lines
- Glyphosate- and multiple-resistant waterhemp (Amaranthus tuberculatus var. rudis) in
- Laboratory Rodent Diets Contain Toxic Levels of Environmental Contaminants: Implications for Regulatory Tests
- Open Letter to the President of the European Commission from Dr. Christopher J. Portier
- Glyphosate, pathways to modern diseases IV: cancer and related pathologies
- The Amount of Glyphosate Used on America Crops (by the million of pounds)
- Death as a Drug Side Effect in FAERS: Is Glyphosate Contamination a Factor?
- Glyphosate: Health Concerns About the Most Widely Used Pesticide
- Glyphosate Can Decrease Germination of Glyphosate-Resistant Soybeans
- Glyphosate in Food & Water, The Detox Project
- EPA FIFRA Panel on Glyphosate as a Carcinogen Transcript of Oct 2016 Meeting
- Autism and Altered Intestinal Bacteria Associated with High Intake of GMO-Foods and Exposure to Weed-Killer, Glyphosate
- Association between Cancer and Environmental Exposure to Glyphosate
- Glyphosate in Collagen
- Glyphosate in Pet Food
- Perinatal exposure to Glyphosate based herbicides and thyroid disorders
- Are glyphosate herbicides linked to autism? New paper finds connection
- Roundup Causes Liver Disease at Small Amounts Allowed by the EPA
- Glyphosate: Unsafe on Any Plate: Food Testing Results and Scientific Reason for Concern
- Glyphosate Fact Sheet - Pesticide Action Network International
- Glyphosate induces cardiovascular toxicity in fish
- Effects of a glyphosate-based herbicide on the uterus of adult ovariectomized rats
- Glyphosate pathways to modern disease V: Amino acid analogue of glycine in diverse proteins
- Glyphosate Sprayed on GMO Crops Linked to Lake Erie’s Toxic Algae Bloom
- Neonatal exposure to a glyphosate based herbicide alters the development of the rat uterus
- A PAN AP Factsheet Series - Special Release - GLYPHOSATE
- The Shikimate Pathway, the Microbiome, and Disease: Health Effects of GMOs on Humans
- Updated Screening Level Usage Analysis (SLUA) Report for Glyphosate
- Genetically engineered crops, glyphosate and the deterioration of health in the United States
- Glyphosate in Wine Report
- Seralini:Co-formulants of glyphosate herbicides are endocrine disruptors
- Is there a link between autism and glyphosate-formulated herbicides?
- New Paper by Samsel and Seneff Showing Glyphosate and Cancer Causing Properties Known By EPA since 1983
- Seralini's study on Roundup and Rats: Liver and Kidney Damage and Tumors
- Toxins Causing 6th Mass Extinction of Life by Rosemary Mason
- Glyphosate Found Toxic at Levels Below Allowable Daily Intake Deemed Safe by EPA
- Glyphosate Causes Neurotoxicity "American Mind Melt" in rats
- Roundup Causes Liver and Brain Impairment in fish
- Glyphosate Samsel and Seneff ( MIT) Paper II on Celiac's Disease and Gluten Intolerance
- Glyphosate Induces Breast Cancer Cell Growth
- A critical review of glyphosate findings in human urine (Journal of Consumer Protection and Food Safety)
- Glyphosate causes antibiotic resistance
- World Health Organization of UN declares glyphosate "probable carcinogen"
- Glyphosate kills human placental cells which can lead to endocrine disruption ( fetal death and deformity)
- Glyphosate Persistance in Sea Water
- Glyphosate Fact Sheet Journal of Pesticide Reform
- Glyphosate, Pig Feed and Miscarriages Study , Kruger, Pedersen etc
- Carrasco Teratogenic Effects Glyphosate of Glyphosate on Vertabrates (Deformities)
- Dr.Nancy Swanson's charts on Glyphosate and organ damage
- Effects of Glyphosate on Food Bacteria
- Glyphosate Damage on Human and Embryonic and Placenta Cells
- Effects of Glyphosate on Beneficial Chicken Gut Bacteria
- Mice with Autism Symptoms Decreased with Probiotics
- Samsel and Dr. Seneff ( MIT) Paper I- on Glyphosate and Modern Disease
- EPA increase of glyphosate residues on food crops 2013
- Biological Psychiatry: Depression and Glyphosate
- Dr. Thongprakaisang: Glyphosate Induces Growth in Human Breast Cancer Cells
- Glyphosate: Destructor of Human Health with Swanson Charts
- Glyphosate harm to testes
- Glyphosate and the Impact on Earthworms
- Majewski Glyphosate in Rainwater and Air
- EPA List of Allowed Levels of Glyphosate on 160 Food Crops
- Proposed collateral Damage of Glyphosate presented to the EPA May 27, 2014
- Sources for Stats and Data used in Zen's Talks/ Monsanto Shareholder Meeting
- Study: Glyphosate Doubles Risk of Lymphoma
- Glyphosate found in Pet Foods
Glyphosate (Roundup) and other Pesticides
- Toxicity of formulants and heavy metals in glyphosate-based herbicides and other pesticides
- Cost of endocrine disrupting pesticides in USA- 42 billion in 2010
- Herbicides: Feminization of male frogs in the wild
- Huge Decline of African Men's Sperm Quality
- Nearly 60% Decline in Men's Sperm in EU, North America and Australia
- Drastic Decline in Men's Semen Quality in China
- Mixtures of herbicides and metals affect the redox system of honey bees
- Glyphosate and Pesticides Increase Non-Hodgkin Lymphoma
- Morphological Changes of The Liver, Kidneys, And Adrenal Glands Of Experimental Animals After Long Term Feeding With Roundup Ready Genetically Modified Soya
- Glyphosate leads to uptake of aluminum into the pineal gland in the brain, linked to autism
- Chronic exposure to commonly used insecticide causes diabetes
- The Cost of America's Asthma Epidemic
- Pesticides Are Associated with Allergic and Non-Allergic Wheeze among Male Farmers
- The High Cost of Pesticides: Human and Animal Disease
- USA Agricultural System UnHealthy-New Report
- Seralini Republished Study of Roundup on Rats (the only study on Roundup not just glyphosate)
- "Inerts" make Glyphosate 1000X More Toxic
- 2nd Study on Toxic (untested by EPA) Adjuvants ( other chemicals in Roundup)
- Detection of Glyphosate in Animals and Humans
- Mental Illness in America
- USA Highest Infant Mortality Rate in Industrialized World
- The Increased Use of Pesticides 13 year report
- 16 year Pesticides Report Charles Benbrook
- The Chemical Pandemic Philippe Grandjean,Harvard School of Public Health (HSPH) and Philip Landrigan, Dean for Global Health at Mount Sinai published online Saturday in Lancet Neurology.
- Compositional Differences of GMO Soybeans and Non GMO Soybeans
- Death of Bees
- Scientist Attacked for Exposing Pesticide Harm
- Human exposure to pesticides from food
- CRISPR and the three myths of precise genome editing
- God’s Red Pencil? CRISPR and The Three Myths of Precise Genome Editing
- RNAi-Based Insecticidal Crops: Potential Effects on Nontarget Species
Cisgenesis and genome editing: combining concepts and efforts for a smarter use
of genetic resources in crop breeding
Benefits of Eating Organic
- How Glyphosate is linked to Gut-Brain Harm with Dr. Buckley
- Anthony Samsel on the Effects of Glyphosate Part 1
- Anthony Samsel on the Effects of Glyphosate Part 2
- Anthony Samsel on Glyphosate and Unsafe Meat and Potatoes
- CNN Interview- Behind the scenes with Zen Honeycutt
- Glyphosate Studies Submitted to EPA for Re Approval
- "Genetic Roulette: The Documented Health Risks of GMOs"
- “The UnHealthy Truth” by Robyn O’Brien
- “Seeds of Destruction: The Hidden Agenda of Genetic Manipulation” by William F. Engdahl
- “A Compromised Generation” by Beth Lambert
- “Foodopoly” by Wynona Hauter of Food & Water Watch
- “Food and Behavior: the Natural Connection” by Barbara Stitt PhD.
- Steven Druker: Altered Genes, Twisted Truth
- www.responsibletechnology.org Institute for Responsible Technology and GENETIC ROULETTE the movie. Downloadable for $2.99. Many other resources on this site. NON GMO Shopping guides etc.
- www.robynobrien.com Robyn O’Brien’s Ted Talk “ Patriotism on a Plate” 18 min free on You Tube and and www.allergykids.org foundation to support kids with allergies.
The content of the Moms Across America website is provided for information purposes only. Information is subject to change without prior notice. Every effort has been taken to ensure that the information on this website is accurate, but no guarantees can be made.
Neither Moms Across America nor its authors are liable for damages resulting from the use of information obtained from this site. The authors are not responsible for any contents linked or referred to from this website or any damages resulting from information on those sites.
The responsibility for the interpretation and use of the information on this site lies with the reader.